Thursday, September 10, 2009

Two good ideas and a bad one, not in that order.

What a wonderful Labor Day weekend we had!

Good idea #1:

As many probably know, Meredith and I trained for the Bill Seymour half-marathon that was held on Friday, September 5th in Grand Island. We stayed the previous night with a good friend of our's, Jeanne Williams, and got out and ran our little hearts out!

Delayed by a potty break, a burnout-catch-up run and pained knees, I came in at a whopping 2:12 with Meredith finishing at 2:07. But hey, we finished it! I've never finished a Powerade so quickly. We had been sweating so much that the salt was dried and flaky on our faces.

After lunch at La Mexicana, we headed out to North Platte to enjoy a few days with our good friends the Olbrichts. We love them! Calvin, Alyssa and I acted out 1 Nephi 3 for everyone in a hut we made out of blankets, clothespins, with ties as headbands. We all played some serious Worms Armageddon on Saturday and Monday as well.

Bad idea:




Towards the end of our foray with the Olbrichts, Josh had a great idea to have a competition between the two of us: eat two enormous jalapeƱo peppers whole. It consisted of the following rules:
  1. Facial expressions must be emotionless for five minutes from time of first bite.
  2. Automatic disqualification for drinking anything or eating anything else before five minutes had passed.
Well... I won. But it was a bad idea.

Good idea #2:

The past couple of weeks had been a serious time of reflection for me about my talents and abilities and how I was using them to the benefit of my family, the Kingdom and others. This led me to the amazing realization (sarcasm) that I had a knack for professionalism, Spanish and creative writing. Creative writing aside, I realized I had a very marketable skill that had been right in front of me all along: my abilities with the Spanish language.

With the love and support of my dear wife and friends, I launched my first official business website for my business, Gardner Translations. It's a great feeling.

So there you have it in a nutshell! We were happy to travel and we're happy to be home.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the video Tony!! That was awesome!!!!!!LOL I miss you so much!! I hope we can all go to Disney!!!

Joshua said...

yes... you won alright... you pepper poppin maniac!