Saturday, October 3, 2009

Freecycle!!!

I picked up my first Freecycle item today! Behold, the free tea kettle:


It's not the prettiest kettle at the ball, but it was free, and we've never had one before, so we are grateful. :)

If you haven't heard of Freecycle, you should check it out. It's a feature on Yahoo groups, and there are geographic sub-groups under Freecycle. For example, there is an Omaha/Council Bluffs Freecycle program. It's basically an online message board where people give away things they don't want anymore. I've seen really big items offered, such as free pianos, treadmills, televisions, couch sets, etc., and I've also seen smaller items, like coupons, cardboard boxes, clothing, toys, etc. People can also put "wanted" posts on Freecycle, but those aren't strongly recommended. You can either sign up for e-mail alerts or just frequently check the message board. I have Freecycle e-mail alerts delivered to a separate folder in my inbox. You have to respond fast to get a Freecycle item, because there are many people signed up for it. The general rule is the first person to respond is the person who gets the item.

Anyway, check it out. I'm looking forward to getting many more Freecycle items in the future and putting some of my own stuff on Freecycle. I love it!

-Meredith

4 comments:

Beaupedia said...

Oh, I disagree, I think it IS the prettiest kettle at the ball! Reminds me of the one I grew up with, so I may be biased.

Going to see if there's a Denver group. Love the idea.

Jennifer said...

Very neat idea! I'm going to have to check for my area!!

Ali said...

So this is funny, I thought about claiming that tea kettle and then decided not to! Glad you like the freecycling!

Meredith said...

Yes, thanks for introducing us, Ali!